Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Day of the Dead/Día de los muertos


What fun we had today in my 3rd-grade DLI (dual-language immersion) classroom.  I found a wonderful blog......

(a big thank you to Kathy at http://www.artprojectsforkids.org/2008/10/skeleton-drawing.html...) ...that hosts a myriad of art lessons.  I was intrigued by the glue resist, oil pastel 'calaveras'.  Here are some photos..  We started out like this:

I wanted them to practice both drawing the skull and controlling the flow of glue.
When they were ready:


They could begin.  I encouraged them to draw "whisper lines"... light, sketchy lines... so that they could erase if needed.  I learned that the less detail, the easier to 'draw' with the glue.  I had been worried that they would squeeze out too much glue, but I found that they didn't squeeze out enough!  When the lines are too thin, the oil pastel can hide them.  I'll do better next year.

1 comment:

  1. That is really cool! I did that technique a lot when I was an art teacher, but I never did Day of the Dead. The kids did a great job!:)
    Thanks for linking up:)
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete